Art is an act of self reclamation

Chaos Moves to its New Department on the First Floor

Chromaphilia, Anna Montgomery, Painting

2003 4.5'X4.5' Acrylic on Canvas

About these ads

9 responses

1. sarah

I love this. So much crazy movement!

November 16, 2011 at 1:11 pm

• Thank you, I painted it in response to the chaos at The Other Side Arts at the time :). It hung over my desk at TOSA for four years.

November 16, 2011 at 1:53 pm

2. I love your use of so many colors. They are well defined individually yet seem to melt into one another at the same time. Very cool.

November 16, 2011 at 3:00 pm

• Thanks Sheila, the borders are extremely complex (I was inspired by a glitch on a DVD that turned the animation into a plethora of pixelated color).

November 16, 2011 at 3:16 pm

3. hobgoblin2011

Anna-

Cool piece, definitely get the crowded, movement feel. I like how you made the “heads” of the objects of varying shape, as the movement seems to flow in whichever direction you happen to be looking at the piece from. But what I really like are two paint marks, both gray, one almost like a child, bottom right hand corner, dragged or basically forced into following the flow, and then in center of the piece, I see another gray mark, this is a bit bigger, and to me, the only object remaining still in the piece. Very nice job

November 16, 2011 at 4:43 pm

• Yes, this time in my life I had spent years clearing out a giant warehouse full of trash :) before the next year beginning all over again with a second building. Lots of upheaval while trying to retain forward motion and it all came out in my art. I like your interpretation with the child.

November 16, 2011 at 5:18 pm

4. Chaos was a bit cramped in the old space, chaos needs room to expand their operation, bring in some fresh meat. IOW, I love this piece! I’m totally feeling this one.

May 25, 2012 at 6:31 am

5. Reblogged this on My Bewildered Brain.

October 16, 2012 at 2:31 pm